- Neutron interaction with matter allows contrast of light atoms (like Hydrogen), and neighbouring atoms may be distinguished from each other
- Non-destructive internal strain scanning (residual and applied) from near surface to several cm into the bulk by neutron diffraction
- Various sample environments possible for real engineering components allowing in-situ experiments and in-operando testing conditions.
- High energy X-rays, allowing higher penetration depth for real 3D imaging of high density samples.
- High intensity X-rays for non-destructive probing of material structure and devices with high spatial resolution from millimetres to nanometres.
- High intensity X-rays for real time measurements with less than a microsecond time resolution